August 14 Word of the Day: Weakly
Test cassettes for viruses get more sophisticated.
Ailing this week, I returned to memories of lockdown tests: the swirl of the
swab, sting in the nostril, goo in the extraction funnel, dropper on the test
plate. “The RSV, Adv, Flu A/B & Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Combo Test is a
lateral flow immunoassay based on the principle of the double antibody sandwich
technique,” read the tissue-thin instructions, convincingly, extracted from the
self-testing box purchased at the pharmacy. Expecting, even as I expectorated
into a man’s large handkerchief, that Flu-A would register in the control panel
bright red, instead a feint pink line appeared against Sars-Cov-2. This meant
Positive, according to the tissue-thin pamphlet (See ‘Pamphlet’ this month, August
8 opening “Beloved of all…” for reverent description of such vital ephemera),
but only what is termed Weakly Positive. I would see Red with completely
Positive. This ‘Weakly’ position was signified by the pale pink band, scarcely
visible, in the panel. I employed a magnifying glass to confirm this
interpretation. The unusual flu symptoms of the past few days -sniffles, aches,
pains universal, pulsing neck veins – suddenly made sense. They were covid
symptoms, ‘Weakly’ because this year I had already had a covid shot, leaving me
to think how badly I’d be suffering if I had not. ‘Weakly’, not weekly, as
‘weekly positive covid’ is, by definition as we and the world knows,
impossible, the contracting of the virus making one immune for some months from
further infection. So here I sit in my ‘weakly’ state which, according to
current iso instructions from government and health, lasts no more than seven
days. One may walk the streets but a mask is advisable near people. Stay at
home and rest up. Having passed seventy, seven days is a reasonable quantity of
measure, a foreseeable effort with a completion. I can practise being weakly
positive. Not negative, which is not helpful, can hinder and distract, even be
harmful and self-consuming. Nor completely positive, which is exhausting and a
little unreal and possibly leads to quixotic or over-enthusiastic
misjudgements. The panel is in, and it says be weakly positive. Potter around
the place. Choose the best arrangement or the best view or best angle. Sleep at
every hour when sleep suggests itself as an option. Reading matter may be negative,
positive, anywhere on the spectrum, pamphlets, as long as it is read in a
weakly positive manner. Pillows puffed up in bed in a warm room facilitates this
style of reading. As day follows night, the longer I stay weakly positive the
sooner I will recover from the reading listed Weakly Positive. No more aches
and pains.

No comments:
Post a Comment