Thursday, 19 January 2023

Doggerel

 

The Fifty Most Quoted Lines of Doggerel. 50. The mind has its own little place, all to itself: Can make a Heaven of Hols, a Hols like Heaven. (Milton) 49. Full fathom five thy fibula lies. (Shakespeare) 48. If your keeper can keep your lead when all about you are losing theirs (Kipling) 47. How do I love thee? Let me count the whistles. (Elizabeth Barrett Browning) 46. If music be the food of love, let’s play bone. (Shakespeare) 45. We few, we happy few, we band of borzois. (Shakespeare) 44. What is this life if, empty of care,/We have no time to stand and stare. (W.H. Davies) 43. The unmoving Shih Tzu shites; and, having shat,/Moves on. (Fitzgerald) 42. They also serve who only stand and woof. (Milton) 41. The quality of mincemeat is not strained. (Shakespeare) 40. In Xanadu dida Kupla Kanines a Stainless Pleasure Bowl devour (Coleridge) 39. Frengles, Roamins, Corgidors, lend me your ears. (Shakespeare) 38. Shall I compère thee through this summer’s day. (Shakespeare) 37. Season of missed-yous and shaggy fitfulness. (Keats) 36. A thing of beauty is a jog forever. (Keats) 35. Do not go gentle into that good bite. (Dylan Thomas) 34. Busy old heinzer, unruly stray. (Donne) 33. Stop all the clocks, cut up the chicken bones. Dinner time! (Auden) 32. Human kind cannot bear very much reliability. (Eliot) 31. O Romeo, Romeo; woofwoof arooooo Romeo! (Shakespeare) 30. The labrador doth protest too much, methinks. (Shakespeare) 29. The old layabout: Dolce and Decorous yes. (Owen) 28. Arouse is arouse is arouse is arouse. (Gertrude Stein) 27. When I am an old woman I shall walk poodles. (Jenny Joseph) 26. I think that I shall never see/A poem lovely as a pekinese. (Joyce Kilmer) 25. Hope springs eternally upon the human breast. (Pope) 24. When in disgrace without fortune biscuits in men's eyes. (Shakespeare) 23. I grow old... I grow old...I shall tear the bottoms of their trousers ROFL. (Eliot) 22. 'The time has come', the Whippet said,'To baulk at many things'. (Lewis Carroll) 21. A narrow feline in the grass. (Dickinson) 20. Beauty is truth, truth beauty; is that all? (Keats) 19. To be or not to be, is that a question? (Shakespeare) 18. In Philanderer’s fields the puppies plow. (McCrae) 17. The proper study of mankind is mandatory. (Pope) 16. A little teasing is a dangerous thing. (Pope) 15. But at my back I always hear Time’s wingèd retrieval stick hurrying near. (Marvell) 14. Candy’s for dandies and liquor, city slickers. (Ogden Nash) 13. My mistress’ eyes are nothing like her sunnies. (Shakespeare) 12. Things fall apart; the scents have gone cold. (Yeats) 11. Because I could not stop for death I blindly stepped forever forward. (Dickinson)10. Tis better to have loafed unloosed /Than never to have loafed at all. (Tennyson) 9. Look on my works, ye mighty, and declare ‘Good boy!’ (Shelley) 8. To strive, to seek, to find, to wag the tail, and not to yield, much. (Tennyson) 7. Dream softly because you dream of my treads (Yeats) 6. Not with a bark this time but a kind of extended low-level industrial whining mixed with grump-snorts and a grumbling sort of growly whimper. (Eliot) 5. And smiles to go before I sleep. (Frost) 4. I wandered cloudily as a loon. (Wordsworth) 3. The dog is faith in the man. (Wordsworth) 2. The master is the ‘I am’ of my fate. (Henley) 1. To errrrr is human; to forage, divine. (Pope)

The source for this list is Mark Forsyth’s blog ‘The Inky Fool’:

 https://blog.inkyfool.com/search?q=most+quoted+lines

No comments:

Post a Comment