Tuesday 4 February 2020

Ask

I have told you once, I will say so again
Shyness, though charming, limits your chances;
Coyness, endearing, makes no advances.
It’s important you know. Question is, when?
Ask me and I’ll tell you to have a try.
I’ll tell you to try and I’ll have you ask.
To have me, tell me, it’s (try) no big ask.
I won’t say no not to you, how could I
Who write epic romances all summer long
To a toothsome girl in some distant land
Such love that’s but words in some twosome song?
Ask me, for else it’s no case of whether
But the bomb despair, loveless bomb, off-hand
Bomb, the bomb that will bring us together.


That I can see, Erik Didriksen has not yet turned any song by The Smiths into a sonnet, which rather betrays his homegrown American pop bias. So, here is the sonnet of the song ‘Ask’ and also for your entertainment, the movie of the song.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoo9Vu1a9bU

No comments:

Post a Comment