Monday 11 November 2019

Checkpoint


And Q keeps on searching for the A:
Press 1 if you are a Member, 2 for
Further Options. Why am I calling you, Charlie?
Because the Money has to go through.
Sorry, I don’t know the Jargon. When you
Say Nyet is that No or Yes?
Do I want to cancel that Number Range?
Why are you asking? Nyet, because Charlie
It’s just you and me against the Computers
Isn’t it? If we don’t speak in Plain Human …
You want my Date of Birth, again?
We could sit on this Line all day, Charlie
And every A for your Q leaves me feeling
I have and always will be on the Outside.


Footnote. The other day I had to transfer some funds by phone and after two lengthy deadends with different operators, got a kid called Charlie. After much bank banter and incomprehensible computerese, somehow the funds went through. Later it occurred to me that dealing with the computers is like visiting Checkpoint Charlie. At least I’m talking to a person, for once, but do we speak the same language and will I ever succeed in getting through to the other side? What’s going on over there anyway on the other side? It’s like the Iron Curtain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment